Frequenty Asked Questions

What you should know about your insurance

Why do I need insurance?

Fire, windstorm, roof leak or burglary can happen anywhere and to anyone. Although you have chosen a safe and secure place to live, your landlord is probably not responsible for damage that may occur to your property.

What's Covered?

Personal Property:

Your belongings are covered up to the limits you choose against accidental and unexpected damage. The policy provides coverage for losses including fire or theft, or water damage from plumbing overflow or roof leaks. There is a $250 deductible. Please refer to the policy form for details.

Earthquake coverage is offered only in California. Your personal property coverage is subject to a maximum amount of $5,000 and subject to a deductible of $750. You are also covered for up to $1,500 of additional living expenses (with no deductible) if you are unable to live in your apartment because of an earthquake.

We cannot cover motor vehicles, animals, land, or buildings. Some limitations and restrictions also apply, such as special limits for jewelry and certain kinds of collectibles. Please refer to the policy form for details.

Additional Living Expense:

When you have to leave your residence because of an insured loss, we will reimburse you for extra expenses. This coverage, called Additional Living Expenses, is paid from your Property Limit. Please refer to the policy form for details.

Personal Liability:

This important coverage provides protection, including costs to defend you, if you are accused of accidentally causing injury to someone or damage to someone else's property. This type of coverage involves your personal actions and does not extend to auto-related or business-related injury or damage. Please refer to the policy form for details.

Who's Covered?

Not everyone in your apartment is covered. Coverage is provided to everyone named on the policy and their immediate families if they are residents of the apartment. If, for example, you are sharing the apartment with a friend, that friend is not covered under your policy unless the friend is specifically named on the policy.

Who is the Insurance Provider?

Deans & Homer is the underwriting manager for Sirius America Insurance Company, Aspen America Insurance Company, and the Fidelity and Deposit Company of Maryland, the issuing companies for the Renter’s Insurance program.

What if I move?

Our renter’ insurance program and personal liability insurance program are designed to provide insurance for pre-underwritten and pre-approved apartment communities. If you move to another apartment within a pre-approved community or to an apartment at another pre-approved community, you may continue your insurance coverage with us, but you should notify us of any changes in your address and contact information.

If you move away from a pre-approved community, your insurance protection will follow you to your new address during a transition period, but you will want to make arrangements for replacement of this coverage. If you have a full renter’s insurance policy that includes coverage for your personal property, your coverage will continue at its full limit for up to thirty (30) days from the time you begin to move property to your new address. After thirty days, the limit of coverage for your personal property at your new address will drop to $5,000. Personal liability coverage, including coverage for negligently caused damage to a rented apartment covered by your policy will apply to a newly acquired residence for the remainder of the policy term after you move.

These temporary extensions of coverage are provided to give you time to purchase replacement coverage and cancel your insurance with us when you move away from a pre-approved apartment community. We will refund any unearned premium for policy coverage that you have purchased in advance of your move when you cancel your policy.

You can continue to be insured through us if you are moving to a comparable apartment in AZ, CA, NM, OR, or UT. address (if you are moving and have any return premium due to you).

How do I cancel my policy?

We need your written authorization to cancel your policy. You may provide this authorization to us by mail, by fax, or online. You do not need to include any reason why you are requesting that your policy be cancelled, but we will need to know your name, your policy number, the date you want your policy cancelled, and your forwarding address (if you are moving and have any return premium due to you).

By mail: Deans & Homer
Renter's Department
PO Box 2839
San Francisco, CA 94126
By fax: 1-800-789-0464
By email:
Online: Create an account and complete the cancellation form:
Create account