Why do I need insurance?
Fire, windstorm, roof leak or burglary can happen anywhere and to anyone. If your property is worth storing, it's worth insuring. Though caution has been taken to provide you with a safe and secure storage space, the self-storage facility may not be responsible for any damage that may occur.
What's covered and what's not?
Most household goods, personal property, business and commercial items that you may store within a rented storage space are covered by Customer Storage Insurance. Motor vehicles, boats and recreational vehicles stored in open lots or open storage that is not fully enclosed will not be covered for wind, hail, theft, vandalism or malicious mischief. Items that are not covered by Customer Storage Insurance include jewelry, precious stones, watches, furs, fur trimmed garments, money and securities.
What kind of protection do I get?
- Building Collapse
- Earthquake *
- Water Damage **
- Smoke Damage
Among other extras, this policy will also extend your insurance protection to your property in transit to or from your rented storage space. Loss or damage caused by moths, insects, rodents or vermin is covered up to $500.
* Loss by earthquake is subject to a $1,000 deductible.
** Damage caused by flood is not covered.
What can I do to reduce the risk of loss?
- Store small, expensive items such as stereo equipment, TVs, camcorders, etc., in the back of the storage space in unmarked boxes.
- Place large items such as furniture and beds in front of them.
- Wrap glass and breakable items in plastic bubble wrap and cover them with linens for additional protection.
- Don't lean stored property against the walls of your storage space. If the roof leaks, water may run down the walls and damage your property.
- Where possible, store all boxes and furniture on wooden pallets or on boards placed on the floor of the storage space. This helps minimize potential water damage.
- Make a complete list of all goods stored. Include a description, model number and serial number.
- To prove ownership, keep all sales receipts, proof of purchase, owner's manuals and warranties.
- A photo or videotaped record of your stored goods is also helpful.
- Keep all records in a safe place away from your storage space.